Guide to Going Solar in New Jersey
Interested in making the switch to solar energy? We’ve packed this page full of resources to help NJ residents go solar. Below you’ll find information, resources, and tools to help you understand the ins-and-outs of going solar in New Jersey.
Going solar saves money, reduces pollution, decreases your carbon footprint, and supports the local economy. Making this switch enables you to truly make a difference.
And 2020 is a great year to go solar in New Jersey. Switching to solar energy is more affordable than you might think. There are still several federal and state incentives right now. Plus, the cost of solar panels has dropped by around 36% in the last five years!
How do you know if you’re a candidate for solar energy? Essentially any person or business that has an electric bill can qualify for solar. This includes homeowners, renters, and businesses. Whether through solar panel installations on your property or through community (shared) solar, going solar is a possibility for most New Jersey residents.
Keep scrolling and click-through these links to learn more about costs, financing options, benefits, and more.
Last Modified on January 22, 2021 by Staff WriterWhen you’re looking for the top solar installers in NJ, it can be overwhelming. There are literally …
Get a Quote
Ready to get a quote from a qualified and vetted installer? We partner with only the top installers in the state of New Jersey. Let us get you in contact with our top picks for your project. If they aren’t a fit, we’ll keep searching until we match you with the right installer for you.
What is Community Solar?
Community solar is a solar farm owned by a third party or the community. Community solar offers a simple solution for anyone to get solar energy without having to get panels installed on their roof. Click here to learn more about community solar and how it works.
Check out: A Consumer’s Guide to Community Solar
Who can use it?
Community solar is an ideal solution for renters or people whose roofs are in too poor a condition to have solar panels installed. It’s a fantastic option if you want to lower your electricity bills and help contribute to a greener planet. Click here to see if community solar is a fit for you.
Where can I get it?
New Jersey’s community solar projects are relatively new. There aren’t tons of them out there yet, but you might be in a neighborhood that has one. Click here to learn about NJ’s community solar progress.
Find Community Solar
Sign up, and we’ll email you when community solar becomes available in your area. We’re keeping an eye on the evolving market, and we’ll let you know as soon as it’s an option for you. Sign up now!
Why is it important?
Energy efficiency matters. Why? Because it can save you tons of money on your electricity every single year. Plus, NJ offers monetary incentives if you prioritize energy efficiency. From insulation to energy-efficient appliances, click here to learn how you can make your home more energy-efficient.
Incentives and Rebates
New Jersey offers rebates for energy-efficient appliances, heating and cooling equipment, appliance recycling, your home’s energy performance, and more. If you care about energy efficiency, you could be leaving money on the table. Learn more about how being energy efficient in New Jersey could earn you cash.
Top Home Energy Audit Contractors
One of New Jersey’s energy-efficient programs provides 0% interest financing for energy-efficient upgrades. To qualify, you have to have an energy audit contractor come and inspect your home. There are several to choose from, so we’ve taken out the legwork and compiled a list of the top home energy audit contractors in New Jersey. Click here to see who they are.
NJ Solar Spotlight
Rutgers Solar Car Team
The Rutgers Solar Car Team is a student-led engineering team comprised of students from Rutgers University, who work together to design, manufacture, and develop their solar car, which they race in various races throughout the country.
Their official mission is “To Educate and Inspire the Garden State.” Aside from racing, the team aspires to help people become more scientifically literate and enthusiastic about working towards a greener and cleaner future.
- NJ Clean Energy Program
- NJ Clean Energy – Community Solar
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
- SREC Trade
- PSE&G – Solar Energy
- DSIRE – NJ Clean Energy Programs
- Rutgers – NJ Clean Energy Resource Network
- NJ Energy Master Plan
- NJ DEP – Bureau of Energy and Sustainabililty
- NJ County Solar PV Dashboard
- New Jersey Solar Energy Facts Sheet
- Sustainable Jersey
- Sustainable Princeton
- New Jersey Sustainability Reporting Hub
- Nexamp will construct 11-MW of New Jersey community solar systems
- Solar Landscape awarded 53 percent of rooftop projects in New Jersey’s community solar pilot program
- NJ Fights Trump’s FERC Fossil Fuel $ubsidies
- Federal fossil-fuel subsidies hurt renewables, drive up NJ electric bills
- NJ legislation offering EV rebates — up to $5,000 per car.
- Governor Signs Class 1 Renewable Energy Cost Cap Bill into Law
- The Plan to Dramatically Reduce NJ’s Reliance on Fossil Fuels
- The solar energy revolution should benefit all Garden State communities equally
- New Jersey Invests in Fossil Fuels, Shunning Others’ Carbon Pullback (2/14/2020)
- Will New Solar Farm on Former Garbage Dump Show Potential of Energy Storage Batteries? (2/19/2020)
- New Jersey sets its sights on a decarbonized economy(2/13/2020)