In our analysis, these solar installers stood out for their customer service, knowledge of the NYC market, and install quality.
When we researched solar for our home, we went way down the rabbit hole. I mean 80+ hours comparing solar install companies, PV panel brands, inverters, battery backup, everything. We quickly realized two things: 1) There’s a ton of options out there, and 2) Choosing the right installer can mean faster install, less hurdles with permitting, better design with higher output, and a fun experience.
Read on to see our picks for the best solar installers in New York City, with our analysis of what you need to get the right setup for your home.
Best Solar Companies in New York City
Island Park, NY
Good service and informative documentation.
Flexible financing options, 25 year warranty.
Sea Bright Solar
Staten Island, NY
Installs SunPower and Tesla Powerwall. Nearly 20 years experience.
Surf Clean Energy
Long Beach, NY
Home base is Long Island homes, but has experience with Queens, Brooklyn flat roofs.
New York, NY
Installs panels and batteries. Flexible payment options.
Knowledgable sales people. Northeast region focus, does not have NYC office.
How We Calculated the Top Solar Installers
We combed the web and did a deep dive into all the solar companies in New York. We read and averaged reviews from multiple websites, dug up warranties, accreditations, financing options, product options, experience, employee satisfaction, and more.
We looked at the following factors:
- Do they have NABCEP accreditation?
- Do they have BBB accreditation?
- How do their warranties look?
- Do they offer financing options?
- Do they offer product options?
- Do they use quality products?
- How long have they been in business?
- How many customers have they serviced?
- How many employees do they have?
- How is their employee satisfaction?
- Company website
How to Choose the Top Solar Installer
- Read up on the solar installer’s reviews and client testimonials
- Find out about the warranties offered
- Check the solar installer’s credentials and accreditations
- Ask for the turnaround time
- Look for customized solutions
- Decide whether you want a national or local solar installation company.
- Get multiple quotes. Get a quote from at least 3 solar companies.
New York residents can take advantage of the 26% federal investment tax credit (ITC). A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your total income tax liability. If your system costs $10,000, you could claim a $2,600 credit on the federal taxes you owe. The tax credit carries forward multiple years in case your federal tax liability is low.
Other solar financial incentives to look for (not available in every state):
- State tax credits
- Net metering
- SRECs – Solar Renewable Energy Certificates
- Utility companies sometimes offer incentives
- City and county-level incentives
- Tax exemptions – sales and property value increase
The average cost of solar panels (including installation) in New York is $2.89 per watt. The average cost of a 5kW solar panel system in New York is $14,400, and $10,656 after the federal tax credit.
Average payback period: 7 years
Average 20-year savings: $38,000
Factors that determine your total cost
- Size of the system
- Solar installation company
- Solar incentives, tax credits, and rebates
- Solar financing options
- Payback period
- Electricity rates in New York
- Roof condition
- Costs by city
- Home value increase
New York Solar Energy Facts
- Solar Installed (MW): 3,380
- Enough Solar Installed to Power: 606,789 homes
- National Ranking: 11th (8th in 2021)
- Percentage of State’s Electricity from Solar: 3.14%
- Solar Jobs in NY: 10,214
- Number of Installations in NY: 158,100
Data current through Q4 2021